Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas. You can't see radon. And you can't smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
Radon is estimated to cause thousands of deaths each year. That's because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer.
In Fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.
Radon can be found all over the U.S.
Radon comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water and gets into the air you breathe. It can get into any type of building- homes, offices, and schools, and results in a high indoor radon level. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home, where you spend most of your time.